Get Acquainted with Tennessee, the Volunteer State
While our resident members are actively involved in extending their time and talents to make their community and the world a better place, they also take the time to enjoy the beauty and diversity of the state they call home.
Tennessee is the heart of the country music scene and offers a wide variety of cultural attractions and experiences including top-notch golf courses, Civil War sites, the Great Smoky Mountains and Elvis Presley’s Graceland, just to name a few. There’s something here to appease every interest!
Uplands Village is centrally located within Tennessee, making day trips to major cities easily accessible. In fact, Uplands is located within 500 miles of 70 percent of the U.S. population. A lower cost of living, retiree-friendly tax structure, easy accessibility and moderate climate tempt many 55+ adults looking for life’s next adventure.
While Tennessee enjoys a generally temperate climate, with warm summers and mild winters, the unique topography of our state can lead to variable conditions in the higher regions. In the spring, the hills bloom with new growth and in the fall, we enjoy a spectacular display when the leaves change colors.
The Surrounding Area
Uplands Village residents enjoy all of the opportunities our surrounding area has to offer including:
- Golf courses (we’re just minutes from the Golf Capital of Tennessee)
- World-class fishing on the numerous area lakes
- Stunning byways (take a scenic drive through three states along the 444-mile Natchez Trace Parkway)
- National, state and local parks (20 minutes from Cumberland Mountain State Park
- Exceptional cuisine and culinary delights
- Progressive arts and cultural events
- Wineries (20 minutes from Stonehaus Winery and Chestnut Hill Winery)
- Award-winning theaters (10 minutes from Cumberland County Playhouse)
- Museums (25 minutes from Homesteads Tower Museum, an octagonal stone landmark that housed administrative offices for a project of FDR’s New Deal and 15 minutes from Military Memorial Museum in downtown Crossville)
- Shopping malls and outlet centers
- Antique malls and flea markets
- Farmers’ markets
- Libraries and bookstores
- Coffee shops and cafes (steps from Linda’s Coffee Shop)
- Historical sites and a rich heritage right on our own Uplands Village campus, including the Dr. May Wharton homestead, Munson-Fletcher Log House, Doctor’s Building, Community House and Pioneer Hall Museum
For those who want to venture beyond our beautiful state, Uplands Village is conveniently located within a day’s drive of 70 percent of the U.S. population.
The nearby cities of Crossville, Cookeville, Knoxville, Nashville and Chattanooga each have a flavor of their own. Play a round of golf or two, get lost in nature in one of the many nearby local or state parks, shop the day away or immerse yourself in history. A new adventure awaits you in Tennessee!