Residents Receive Care in the Comfort of Their Own Homes
Following the example set by Dr. May Cravath Wharton, home healthcare visits remain vitally important to the Uplands Village way of life. While our home health staff doesn’t make house calls on horseback as Dr. May once did, the idea of providing care within the home setting continues to be the norm here. Home healthcare, available to all independent living resident members, is covered under a monthly service fee. This service is truly unique to the Uplands Village way of life. Home healthcare services are fully funded through our community, and are not billed to Medicare or insurance.
Our home care staff includes around-the-clock care provided as needed in the comfort of one’s own home. Our home care staff includes certified nursing assistants (CNAs) and licensed practical nurses (LPNs) who offers offer routine care five days a week. Emergency calls are answered 24 / 7 and a weekly health clinic is open to all of our resident members.
Home Care Allows Residents to Age in Place
There are many benefits to home healthcare. Home care services allow residents to actively age in place, which means residents are able to remain in the comfort of their own homes for longer periods of time. For many older adults, the concept of aging in place gives them a higher level of control over their lives. Having the opportunity to remain in their own homes not only respects their feelings and need for independence, but provides the added benefits of receiving healthcare assistance within a familiar and comfortable environment. Aging in place provides a financial benefit for those who live on fixed incomes and for whom moving to a senior living community is not economically feasible. Home care services also cost significantly less than hospital stays.
Trained medical professionals visit on a pre-determined schedule to provide nursing care, medication management, diet and nutritional support and companionship. Family members, especially those who live further away, can find peace of mind knowing that their loved one is content to be in their own space and has a reliable caregiver who routinely checks on their well being.
Home healthcare at Uplands Village includes:
- Medication administration, education and reminders
- Nutritional support and diet monitoring with in-home registered dietician visits
- Nurse assessment and assistance with setting up in-home or outpatient physical, occupational or speech therapies
- Follow-up visits after inpatient rehabilitation stays
- Nurse monitoring and assessment of vital signs, weight, skin condition, nutrition, wound care, home safety and acute episodes
Uplands also works with care partners who can provide in-home services for additional fees, including:
- Assistance with activities of daily living such as bathing and grooming (can be scheduled daily or as needed)
- Housekeeping, laundry services and in-home meal preparation
Learn more about outpatient rehabilitation at the Uplands Village Wellness Center.
Resident Members Enjoy Home Healthcare Services Such as:
- Nurse on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- Nutritional support and monitoring by a registered dietitian
- Assistance with setting up in-home or outpatient therapy
- Weekly, biweekly and/or monthly medication education, setup and reminders
- Monitoring vital signs and weight
- Skin and wound care assessments and treatment
- Assessment of acute episodes (such as colds or sore throats)
- Home safety assessments
- Meal delivery (additional costs apply)
Today, we continue the remarkable legacy of the “Doctor Woman of the Cumberlands,” our founder, Dr. May Cravath Wharton.